Marmet has probably been the second largest stroller manufacturer in Great Britain after Silver Cross.
According to several people, the best strollers were built by Marmet.
Marmet Limited was founded in 1912 by E.T. (Edward Thompson) Morriss
The trade name Marmet is an anagram of his initials (E.T.M) and his wife (A.R.M.). He came up with the name while sitting upstairs in an open biplane passing Lords Cricket Ground in early 1912.
His son, Howard, also joined the company and was mainly responsible for the design and manufacture of the cars.
The company was based on the Icknield Way in Letchworth. After the company was sold to Restmor in 1972, the buildings were demolished and replaced by houses. The name Marmet Ave at this place still reminds us of the past.
There was also a smaller branch in Edinburgh, mainly as a distribution centre for the very important Scottish market, but pram hoods were also made here. This branch has also been demolished.
In the 1930s, the shape of the cars was radically changed. The medical profession indicated that the deep bins were unhealthy due to the lack of air circulation. The bins therefore had to be shallower but not too shallow so that the child could fall out. Marmet was one of the first major brands to adapt the bins and in 1936 they had adapted the entire range.
In '36 / '37 the Marmet pams became much larger and Marmet supported this through advertisements. Marmet had taken over 'Craft Prams', a manufacturer that built the largest strollers based on a 'C-spring chassis'.
The pipe frame chassis was continued to be used for the Marmet prams.
Initially produced under the Lady name, the Queen model was Marmet's absolute top model from 1953 to the mid-1960s.
Marmet later also produced the prams of the brands LBC (London Baby Coach), Sol and Millsons of London.